A general dentist performs general dentistry services and can serve as the first point of contact for patients who need other types of dental care. Some services, such as dentures, may require a referral to a dentist who focuses on a specific area of dentistry.The general dentist is usually responsible for preventative care, such as…
General Dentistry and Gum Health: How Dental Health Relates to Overall Health
General dentistry goes beyond focusing on preventing, diagnosing, and treating dental issues. It also helps prevent chronic health issues, like diabetes, because oral health is closely related to overall health. Most of the bacteria in your mouth will not cause any harm when you take care of your oral health.
Poor oral hygiene allows bacteria populations in the mouth to reach unhealthy levels. Over time, these microorganisms contribute to dental issues like tooth decay and gum disease. The immune system can then become compromised, which allows the germs to enter the bloodstream and reach the rest of the body.
How general dentistry links oral health to overall health
Health issues that have been linked to oral problems like gum disease include the following.
- Diabetes: According to the American Dental Association, people with gum disease are more likely to develop diabetes and vice versa; diabetes leads to difficulty regulating blood sugar, leading to a person’s saliva becoming infused with sugar, increasing the risk of tooth decay and gum disease
- HIV/AIDS: Cuts and sores in the mouth increase the risk of contracting and passing on HIV, which leads to AIDS; people with the disease also have an increased risk of sores developing in their mouth
- Osteoporosis: This health condition leads to weakened bones and affects the bone structures in the mouth that hold teeth in place, leading to tooth loss
- Cancer: Oral cancer can be the result of poor oral hygiene, so seeing a general dentistry regularly can help with its early detection
- Heart disease: Issues like clogged arteries and endocarditis have been linked to poor oral hygiene, and it also increases the risk of having a stroke
Maintaining good health through oral hygiene
Taking proper care of the teeth and gum reduces the odds of developing chronic health issues like heart disease and gum disease. The first step of good oral hygiene is brushing the teeth twice a day. One of these times should be right before going to bed because it gives patients a chance to get rid of plaque and food particles that have built up on their teeth during the day.
Flossing once a day removes plaque from teeth surfaces and the gum line. It also helps stimulate gum tissues, providing additional protection against gum disease.
Biannual trips to a general dentistry are just as vital because they give the dentist a chance to evaluate the condition of the patient’s teeth and gums. They can also perform preventative treatments, like teeth cleanings during these visits.
Protect your health by taking care of your mouth
Good oral hygiene protects your mouth as much as it protects the rest of your body. Give us a call or visit our Aliso Viejo clinic to set up an appointment at our general dentistry office.
Check out what others are saying about our dental services on Yelp: General Dentistry Services in Aliso Viejo, CA.
General dentistry focuses on diagnosing, managing and treating dental and oral health problems. Additionally, general dentists administer routine care so that patients can maintain good oral health. Routine care does include preventive treatments, which can help patients avoid cavities, infections or injuries.Preventive general dentistry treatments can be very beneficial long-term. They allow patients of all…
When it comes to general dentistry, it is recommended that you use mouthwash as part of your daily oral hygiene regimen because it kills the germs left in your mouth after brushing. Most adults use a mouthwash that contains alcohol because they believe it kills germs more effectively than alcohol-free mouthwash.In an effort to figure…
Why is general dentistry important? Taking care of your teeth can reduce painful problems like abscesses, gingivitis, cavities and additional issues. Taking care of your teeth the right way takes consistency and knowledge of oral hygiene. Stronger teeth make for a brighter and happier smile!In this article, we will look at five tips that will help in…